1,000 Kenyans lured into Russia’s army as families demand help
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox
A poster featuring a Kenyan national conscripted by the Russian army to fight in Ukraine is seen during a prayer and peaceful protest in Nairobi on Feb 19, organised by relatives demanding government action to repatriate their kin.
PHOTO: AFP
- Families of 35 Kenyans forced to fight for Russia in Ukraine demand government action to bring them home. Many were tricked by rogue agencies.
- An intelligence report states over 1,000 Kenyans fight for Russia; 39 hospitalised, 28 missing, 89 on front lines.
- Families feel the ministry is unhelpful, while Russia denies allegations. Kenya's Foreign Minister plans to visit Moscow in March.
AI generated
NAIROBI - The families of 35 Kenyans lured into fighting for the Russian army demanded on Feb 19 that their government take action to bring them home.
Multiple media investigations, including one published earlier this month
An intelligence report presented to Parliament on Feb 18 said more than 1,000 Kenyans had gone to fight for Russia.
While some are ex-soldiers leaving to become mercenaries, many appear to have been tricked by rogue recruitment agencies working with Russian authorities.
Families of the recruits gathered in Nairobi for a protest on Feb 19, holding placards with their photos and captions like “Bring our son back”.
“We hope to get any information about my brother – dead or alive or injured... At least we can bring closure to this,” said Ms Winnie Rose Wambui.
Her brother, Samuel Maina, went to Russia believing he had a job as a security guard at a mall.
Several families told AFP they had not heard from their relatives for months.
Ms Wambui said her brother sent a “distress voice note” on Oct 31 from a forest, asking the family to pray for him. They have not heard from him since.
“The ministry of foreign affairs is not helping us,” she said.
“They told us if we have questions we have go to the Kenyan embassy in Moscow.”
Relatives of Kenyan nationals conscripted by the Russian army to fight in Ukraine posing with photos of their family members during a prayer and peaceful protest in Nairobi on Feb 19.
PHOTO: AFP
The Russian embassy posted a statement on X on Feb 19, denying the allegations and calling them a “dangerous and misleading propaganda campaign”.
The report presented to Kenya’s Parliament, produced by the National Intelligence Service and Directorate of Criminal Investigations, found the number of recruits was far higher than the figure of “around 200” given by authorities in December.
“The rogue agencies are targeting ex-military, ex-police officers, as well as civilians... who are desperate for job opportunities abroad,” Mr Kimani Ichung’wah, Parliament majority leader, told lawmakers.
He said the recruitment agencies were “colluding with rogue airport staff” and immigration officials, and recruits were increasingly leaving from other African countries to avoid detection.
Mr Ichung’wah said at least 39 Kenyans were currently hospitalised, 28 missing in action and 89 on the front line.
‘Unscrupulous agents’
The families plan to present petitions to several government offices next week, including the foreign ministry, and to the Russian embassy, according to their coordinator, Mr Peter Kamau, whose brother Gerald Gitau is missing.
“It very bad when unscrupulous agents are taking advantage of the state of joblessness in Kenya to exploit our brothers,” he said.
“We are demanding for the government to act and ensure our chidren are brought back because we cannot go to Russia,” Mr Kamau said.
The families of 35 Kenyans lured into fighting for the Russian army took part in the Feb 19 Nairobi protest.
PHOTO: AFP
Kenyan Foreign Minister Musalia Mudavadi is due to visit Moscow in March
The government recently condemned the use of Kenyan citizens “as cannon fodder”.
Uganda and South Africa are among the other African countries that have been targeted for recruitment at a time when Russia faces heavy casualties in Ukraine. AFP


